Recently I got about 2 kilos of home grown strawberries from a friend and was keen to try something different with them, having already made ice cream and jam…
As it was my mother-in-law’s birthday coming up, I thought it might be nice to make a strawberry cake.
After some research on the internet, it seemed that most recipes around work with fake stuff, i.e. strawberry jelly and cake mix…
Here is the recipe for the cake I’ve finally baked, all lovely fresh ingredients!
It turned out to be a delicious moist cake with a strong strawberry flavour.
115g soft unsalted butter, 230g sugar, 2 medium free range eggs, 1tsp vanilla paste, 1/2tsp salt, 4tbsp crème fraiche, 1tsp bicarb soda, 200g mashed strawberries, 200g flour
- preheat oven to 180C, beat butter and sugar until creamy
2. add eggs, vanilla and salt
3. stir together cream and bicarb soda
4. add to butter cream
5. add flour, beat well
6. stir in mashed strawberries
7. bake for 35-50 minutes, until the middle bounces back (like a sponge cake)
8. cool on wire rack
9. cover with icing / frosting
For the cream cheese frosting I used:
400g icing sugar, 100g soft unsalted butter, 100g cream cheese, 1-2tbsp strawberry coulis